As the client you have overall responsibility for the successful management of the project, and failure to discharge your duties could lead to prosecution.
Appointing CDM Advisor to help and guide you will ensure you, and your project, are CDM compliant.
A commercial client is an organisation or individual for whom a construction project is carried out in connection with a business, whether the business operates for profit or not. Examples of commercial clients are schools, retailers and landlords.
You are a domestic client if you are having work carried out which is not connected with running a business. Usually, this means arranging for work to be carried out on the property where you or a family member lives.
Make suitable arrangements for managing a project. This includes making sure that:
- other duty holders are appointed
- sufficient time and resources are allocated.
Clients must also make sure that:
- relevant information is prepared and provided to other duty holders
- the principal designer/designer and principal contractor/contractor carry out their duties
- where appropriate the project is notified to the enforcing authorities
- a Construction Phase Plan is in place
- welfare facilities are provided
- where appropriate a Health and Safety File is prepared
The Domestic clients duties are the same as as the Commercial Clients duties above, but their duties as a client are transferred to:
- the contractor, on a single contractor project, or
- the principal contractor, on a project involving more than one contractor.
A commercial client is deemed to be the Principal Designer and/or the Principal Contractor for any period during the Pre-construction/Construction Phase where these appointments have not been fulfilled..
At WDP our consultants have an expertise in both CDM and Engineering, giving us the unique position within the construction industry. Our breadth of knowledge and experience ensures both the technical and safety aspects of the design are taken into account.
WDP can act as the Client CDM Advisor and advise & assist you in discharging your duties. Furthermore, we can also act as the Principal Designer, allowing us to give you a tailored service that suits your need.